USS Blessman, A.P.D. 48

DESA Bulletin Board: Seeking Shipmates or Ship Information: USS Blessman, A.P.D. 48
By PatrickDolan on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 02:21 pm: Edit Post

I am Patrick M Dolan, son of Patrick Raymond Dolan, who was a member of UDT 15, and was killed at Iwo Jima. I would appreciate any information regarding my father. Please feel free to call (760) 469-5438 or e-mail: Patrick@DolanProperties.net.

By Nick Salleroli on Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 08:01 am: Edit Post

A heartfelt salute to all the heros of WWII this Veteran's Day 11/11/2012. My Grandfather Ben Sher passed away, he was a radarman second class aboard the USS Blessman. He told me a funny story about the Blessman. He went up to Hingham Mass. and saw a wooden plaque reading USS Blessman at the berth where the ship was supposedly docked. He asked a shipyard worker "where is the ship, did they take it out for a spin?" The worker told him it wasn't built yet. He wrote my Grandmother that he would probably sit out the war because they didn't even build the ship. He then went to radar school for about 2 weeks, when he got back the ship was fully built and was being outfitted with all her equipment. He couldn't believe how fast she was built. He was part of the nucleus crew and took her out for the shakedown cruise to Bermuda. He made all the North Atlantic crossings, participated in Operation Overlord and was with her through the Panama Canal to the Pacific. Leyte, Hot Rocks, the Phillipines and the dreaded 500lb bombs...he was there. All your grandfathers/fathers were like brothers to my "Pop" and he respected them all. I miss him terribly, he was my best man at my wedding and my best friend. I feel I know all the sailors he spoke so proudly of, Murry Warsaw, Eddie Hinz, Charlie "T", Bill Hyland, Benjamin F. "Benny" Luck, Bob Roberts, Mr. Chambrom, Eddie Douchen to mention a few. Pop always said it was the worst time and the best time all rolled in one. He would never want to repeat it but he said he would never have wanted to miss it. God bless the families and the sailors of the USS Blessman! I am so fortunate to have listened to Pop's stories for 45 years, I now tell them to my kids. We went to the 50th renunion in Williamsburg Va. and Pop got to see his old shipmates...what a great weekend. He finally got to eat with Captain, Phillip Laboutier. He said it only took 50 yrs. but he finally got to eat with the officers. That made his day, it was nice to see him so happy.

By Adam Widebrook on Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 07:27 pm: Edit Post

My grandfather Ramon S. Vandawalker was on the Blessman when it was bombed. I've heard stories my entire life about his experiences during the war. He was part of UDT-15 at this time and nearly lost his own life during the bombing. Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away Sunday from complications of a stroke, he was 95. I really would like to find out if/when there might be another reunion coming up. Please feel free to reach-out...

By Rebel Royall on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 02:01 pm: Edit Post

My grandfather, Richard Kay Taylor was also aboard the Blessman in both the Atlantic and the Pacific. He decided to go to bed the night of the bombing instead of being in the mess hall, else he would have been among the sailors killed that evening. Although he is starting to get in pretty bad health, he is still going. He and my Grandmother just completed a move from Big Spring to Ira, TX to be beside my parents so they can "help them out".

By Jan Albertie on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 03:17 pm: Edit Post

Ladies & Gentlemen;

I am looking for photographs of the UDT personnel who perished on the USS Blessman on 2/18/45 for the National Navy UDT-SEAL Memorial.

Some of the photo's we need are as follows: Paul Davis, Patrick Dolan, Paul Gordon, John Mecale, James Rodman, Adrian Runnels, and Thomas Watkins.

The Memorial is at the National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum in Fort Pierce, Florida. We are now creating a data base that will have pictures of these men, their medals and honors, and stories of their lives. If you have any information that you'd share with me, please contact me at jalbertie@ebusinessdesign.com.

Thank you for your assistance.

Very respecfully yours,
Jan Albertie

By Jan flood on Friday, September 30, 2011 - 07:34 pm: Edit Post

Janis Flood

My dad, Edwin Harford, was also a member of UDT 15 and was part of the operation at Iwo Jima. My dad died in 1958 at age 46 from war related injuries. I was 10 years old. I would love to know if anyone knew anything about him. I just found out today through some papers I found that he was on the USS Blessman. I am so proud of my dad and even after 53 years I still miss him. God Bless all our men and women who are keeping us safe.

Janis Flood

By Angela Vaughan on Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 06:46 am: Edit Post

My father, Richard J. Singleton (Dick) passed away on August 11, 2011. He was 96. He served on the Blessman. He would have been in the mess hall the night the bomb hit, but he had watch duty the next day and turned in early. That saved his life.

By Bill Mossbrook on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 07:56 am: Edit Post

My grandfather was Leo A. Demi. He was a chef on the USS Blessman. I have very fond memories of my grandfather and we would talk often about his days in the Navy aboard the USS Blessman. He told me stories about the day that his ship was hit with that 500lb bomb. He said he was in the mess hall and was blown through one of those steel grates that pull down when the mess was closed. He said after the attack he was taken back to Mare Island CA to repair the wounds he had sustained. He carried shrapnel in his head until the day he died.My grandfather passed away several years ago of old age. He died a peaceful death. My grandfather was a great man and was one of my hero's in life. Today is July 3rd 2011 and I want to thank my grandfather and all the service men & women who have served to keep this nation free. It was an honor knowing my grandfather and I will always cherish the talks we had about his service on the USS Blessman.

By larry amadio on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 09:18 am: Edit Post

hello everyone,
My father served on the Blessman
from its initial launch until I believe sometime
after D-Day. He was transferred but did not want to go because he had made friends on the Blessman.
His name is Larry Amadio and is alive and well
at 89. my e-mail is acelask@aol.com

By June Radintz on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 08:09 am: Edit Post

Hello all,
My Uncle, Earl Hilke, served on the USS Blessman and was part of the UDT's. He was fatally wounded during the attack at Iwo Jima. He was from Altura, Minnesota. He grew up on a dairy farm in this small community. I am hoping someone will remember him and share any info on his life at sea. My email: jbug720@aol.com

By Brian Falasz on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:43 pm: Edit Post

A heartfelt "Thank You" goes out to all of our Veterans on this, the 69th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

My Uncle, Leonard Falasz, served on the USS Blessman. I would like to hear about any memories you have of him and your onboard time together.

Thank you again for your servce to our country. You are TRULY the GREATEST generation!!!

By Stephanie Hill on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 10:45 pm: Edit Post

My father was Stephen A. "Smokey" Stright who served with UDT 15 attached to the USS Blessman in the Pacific. Daddy passed away at age 95 in 2004. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who knew/served with him.

By J Todd Renner on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 02:06 pm: Edit Post

I haven't been to this message board for a while, but I did want to relay some bad news. My grandfather, Tiny Hancock, passed away at home in Indian Head, Maryland on 13 February 2010. I bought him a copy of Mr. Hines' book and read portions of it to him before he died. He remembered Mr. Hines well and enjoyed reminiscing about the adventure. Looking back, it wouldn't seem like one tour of approximately 18 months would so profoundly shape a life, but WWII definitely did that for Grandpa. As I said in my last post, thank you VERY much and may God bless you!

By Paul King on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 08:58 am: Edit Post

My name is Paul King. Only since retiring a couple of years ago have I had the time and resources to delve into some WWII history connections that have always intrigued me. I was named after my mother's twin brother, Paul Harrison Davis, from North Augusta, South Carolina. My mother told me that he was at Normandy and later died at Iwo Jima. I took a stab in the dark on the internet and got a hit listing him on the Special Forces Roll of Honour and the Honolulu, Hawaii tablets of the missing. The entry lists him as dying aboard the USS Blessman in the bombing of the ship on Feb. 18, 1945. His unit was UDT-15 and formerly NCDU-213. I have read the details of the day leading up to the bombing including two trips to the beaches to make surveys. I still have his Purple Heart and Bronze star. I also have two pictures of hime with his team. One in dress whites and the other in battle fatigues. The board in front of the group says Jackson's Grenaders. I don't know if these pictures are UDT or NCDU. The back of one pictures lists the men. They are Ens. John Jackson-Newark, NJ. Pete Peterson-Cliffside, Park, NJ. James "Whitey" Schofield-Duggar,Ind. Weldon Burgis-Burnsville,NC. If any of this is of interest to anyone you may contact me at my e-mail address. paulk414@aol.com

By james szych on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 08:58 am: Edit Post

My Granduncle was on the USS Blessman and was killed in 1945 Chester Szych he was wit UDT15,i ordered his military records. i would be interested in anything or anybody who knew him even reunions and such you can contact me at 398 Caisson rd fredericksburg va 22405 540-479-3539
jascar1@cox.net

By Denise Brendel on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 04:56 pm: Edit Post

I posted my previous message before adding that I have a picture of my father with his UDT team, UDT 15, the picture includes my father, Joseph J. Riordan, who was GM2c, R. J Pfister, GM2c, W. R. Forth, GM2c, A. J. Stankiewicz, MM2c, P. L. King, CM1c and W. H. Reeves, CM1c. I received this picture from my brother who was in contact with UDT museum in Ft. Pierce, I believe. The picture in question was from a Navy newspaper called 'The Mock-Up' all the names were of the UDT 15 who received the Bronze Star, for the invasion of Iwo Jima, extremely proud of my father and everyone else that served then and now.

By Denise Brendel on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 04:25 pm: Edit Post

My father Joseph J. Riordan was on the USS Blessman, he was at Iwo Jima and received the Bronze Star for helping plant the bombs before the invasion. My father died in 1986 and I truly wish that I had asked him more questions about his service time. He was on the ship when it was bombed and escaped injury, having just come from the mess hall. I wish he was here he would have loved to converse about all he knew. If anyone remembers him, please let me know. He was born in Astoria, New York, and loved his time in the service and went on to be a NYC Fireman, he seemed to love danger, but was very easy going and calm in the mist of diaster. I love and miss him.

By Chris Ackman on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 08:56 pm: Edit Post

My name is Chris Ackman. My grandfather, Wallie Neale Summers, Jr., served on the USS Blessman in the Atlantic and the Pacific. He passed away before I was born. I teach American History and have been doing research on his experience.

I received his military files. I immediately ordered the book by Edward Hinz. It was great to read about the experiences of the USS Blessman.

My wife's grandfather was also on the USS Blessman, Edwin Henry Ainsworth. He was injured during the bombing at Iwo Jima.

It is really ironic that my grandfather and my wife's grandfather were on the same ship during World War II.

If anybody has any information on them, please email me at chris_ackman@yahoo.com

By Sheila North on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 10:16 pm: Edit Post

Hello and thank you to all of you,
My Dad trained as UDT and I believe he would have been on the Blessman in the Pacific Theatre. He won't talk much about it, promising to leave the experience in his "memoires." If anyone remembers him I would appreciate your information. Eugene "Gene" North he would have been very young (15-18) and a fantastic swimmer. He was trained off Catalina Island before shipping out. Tell me where to start. Thanks again for all your courage to fight for my freedom.

By Mike Polk on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 12:37 pm: Edit Post

Shipmates of USS BLESSMAN (1942 to 1944) that knew Henry Lamar Polk from Georgia.
My name is Mike and I'm the middle child of H.L. Polk. I retired from USAF in 1999. My father passed away in 1994. I ran across his USS Blessman coffee cup and would like to learn more about that time in my dad's life...
Email address zetellafella@comcast.net
or 678-692-8605 and leave a message if I am not home..
Thank You

By Mike Polk on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 06:53 am: Edit Post

Hello All,

My father Henry Lamar Polk was assigned to the USS Blessman (42-44) I recall him saying he was on UDT Team 1, and he spoke with a slight southern accent.
Any help/assistance in finding more about my dad's time on the US Blessman sure would be great.
please email any details to zetellafella@comcast.net

thank you very much!

By rALPH e bOUNDS on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:28 pm: Edit Post

My name is Ralph E. Bounds and I was on the USS Blessman as a Radioman 2c out of San Pedro, Calif August 1945 in a ship convoy with 15 other APDs and on board Underwater Demolition Squadron Nos 1 and 2.headed for invasion of Japan. About 3 days out of Pearl some of us were nappin after chow and guns went off. We jumped out of sacks and went to top deck and flares and guns were being shot and were told Japan had surrendered. Our destination was changed and went to Manilla Philippines and in bay. Jap ships had been sunk by the airforce and their stacks and flags were out of the water.

By Edward Hinz on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 02:08 pm: Edit Post

I have the sad news that two plank owners of the USS Blessman DE69/APD48 have recently died. Don Zwerís daughter, Dee Dragoo. reported Donís passing on March 19 2008.
Jim Smithís wife Mary contacted me and requested that I tell other members of the USS BLESSMAN family that he died on March 25 2008.
Both men, Machinist Mates, worked side-by-side repairing the ship that was damaged by a 500-pound bomb at Iwo Jima and enabling it to return to Mare Island for repairs. The irony of passing on within the same week is a tribute to their lasting friendship even after the war.

By Edward Hinz on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 07:19 am: Edit Post

USS BLESSMAN DE69/APD48 Seeking Shipmates
Reply to Melanie Wilson

Regarding your grandfather Jewel H. Wilson F3c: according to the shipís muster rolls I know he was aboard at the Normandy invasion and also at Lingayen Gulf and Iwo Jima. On February 24 1946 while other crewmembers were placed ashore at Saipan he most likely remained aboard to patch up the USS BLESSMAN. After the temporary repairs were completed, we headed to Mare Island, California for complete repairs and then left for Wakayama Japan. Feel free to contact me by email at hinz77@msn.com or Phone: 516-747-3042.

Edward Hinz

By Edward Hinz on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 08:46 am: Edit Post

February 25,2008

Gerald Murphy Jr.

I do not remember your grandfather Robert J Murphy S2c but I knew shipmates that escaped death at the last seconds before the blast. I believe he joined the ship when we were sent to the Pacific war zone. His injury was not severe enough to be transported to the hospital ship. On February 24 1946 he was placed ashore at Saipan while some of us remained aboard to patch up the USS BLESSMAN. On Saipan, crewmembers headed work parties unloading supply ships, planting banana trees and other make-work projects to keep them busy. After the temporary repairs were completed, he returned to the ship and we headed to Mare Island, California for complete repairs.
I served as a Quartermaster 1/c on the USS BLESSMAN DE/69 in the Atlantic and APD48 in the Pacific.
You may find the information you are looking for in my book, THE USS BLESSMAN and I, A Memoir of shipboard Life During World War II. It can be purchased in paperback or hardback from the Barnes and Noble website www.bn.com, or from Xlibris website www.xlibris.com also amazon.com and other booksellers. I am now 84 years old and I wrote the book for my children, grandchildren and great grand children to remember and know about me.
.. My book is historically accurate because I was there.
Feel free to contact me by email at hinz77@msn.com
Sincerely,

Edward Hinz

By Edward Hinz on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:41 am: Edit Post

J Todd Renner,
I remember your grandfather Tiny Hancock well and can only picture him as he looked in his twenties. We spent many hours talking on the bridge. He told me that his mother named him Tiny because he was such a small baby
Charlie Perry I donít recall but he is listed in the shipís roster at the time of the bombing.
I am now 84 years old and I wrote the book for my children, grandchildren and great grand children to remember and know about me.
I served as a Quartermaster 1/c on the USS BLESSMAN DE/69 in the Atlantic and APD48 in the Pacific.
You may find the information you are looking for in my book, THE USS BLESSMAN and I, A Memoir of shipboard Life During World War II. It can be purchased in paperback or hardback from the Barnes and Noble website www.bn.com, or from Xlibris website www.xlibris.com also amazon.com and other booksellers.. My book is historically accurate because I was there.
Edward Hinz
.hinz77@msn.com

By Edward Hinz on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:59 pm: Edit Post

J Todd Perry,
I remember your grandfather Tiny Hancock well and can only picture him as he looked in his twenties. We spent many hours talking on the bridge. He told me that his mother named him Tiny because he was such a small baby
Charlie Perry I donít recall but he is listed in the shipís roster at the time of the bombing.
I am now 84 years old and I wrote the book for my children, grandchildren and great grand children to remember and know about me.
You may find the information you are looking for in my book, THE USS BLESSMAN and I, A Memoir of shipboard Life During World War II. It can be purchased in paperback or hardback from the Barnes and Noble website www.bn.com, or from Xlibris website www.xlibris.com.also Amazon.com and other booksellers. My book is historically accurate because I was there.
Edward Hinz
.hinz77@msn.com

By Diana Sharrar on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:28 pm: Edit Post

My uncle, Frank P. Dimeling was one of the sailors killed when the bomb hit the ship at Iwo Jima. Last week I received a letter from Edward Hinz who was a shipmate on board the USS Blessman. He wrote a book called "The USS Blessman and I" and as soon as I received Mr. Hinz's letter, I ordered the book through Amazon.com. I received it yesterday and read it last night from cover to cover. I laughed and I cried and I think everyone should read this book. It details the USS Blessman from trips to Londonerry, Ireland; to Omaha Beach in Normandy; from service in the Atlantic thru the Panama Canal and on to service in the Pacific. It tells about the bombing and about the men killed. That part was pretty hard for me to read but it somehow brought things closer to me. I never knew my uncle as he died before I was born, but I heard about him all my life and after reading this wonderful book, I feel I know him better such as what he went through, the voyages, what he saw, where he had been, things done (through Mr. Hinz's experiences) and it was just a remarkable feeling to read about life on the USS Blessman even right down to Misfit having 5 puppies. Next year if there is a reunion, I would very much like to attend and meet the men who served aboard the USS Blessman and their families. To Mr. Hinz, thank you for sharing your memories in you book and I really cherished learning about the USS Blessman and now as I continue work on my family tree, I have a lot of notes to add about my uncle...things I never knew until I read the book. I only heard while growing up about his death and serving in the Pacific. I never knew he had been to Omaha Beach at Normandy. I learned so much.

By J Todd Renner on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:08 pm: Edit Post

I realize this is a late post, but my grandfather, Tiny Hancock, also served aboard the Blessman. He was helmsman, and he was very good friends with Charlie Perry. Both of them are from Charles County in Southern Maryland. Grandpa is now 87 years old. He remembers many of the events of the war well. With regard to the bombing, he told me that he had just gotten off duty and was heading to the mess hall to write a letter home, but changed his mind to return to the bridge for a cup of coffee. As most of you know, the mess hall was heavily damaged. There are many more stories. Are they any plans for another reunion? Thanks and God Bless you all!

By Gerald Murphy Jr on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 08:44 am: Edit Post

Greetings,

My Grandfather, Robert J. Murphy, was on the USS Blessman when she was hit. I was told he had just passed through the mess hall and was invited to play a few hands/cards as the evening wore down, but was tired and proceeded up the ladder, barely to the next level when the bomb hit. His knee was injured as he fell from the ladder but managed to get to the next level. I know many of the men in the that mess hall perished. My Grandfather was spared and led a full and wonderful life. He died Thanksgiving night, November 23, 2007 at 1:15am at he age of 85. I was privileged to be at his side that night and felt quite honored to thank him for all he had done for me, and of course, am very proud of what he has accomplished for our great nation. He is survived by his son and daughter, two grandsons and 4 great-grandchildren. I would be very interested to hear from surviving shipmates that may have known him or remember that fateful night when the bomb hit. Hopefully, I can show my gratitude and perhaps represent my Grandfather at a future reunion. Is there a website or contact info to notify other WWII Vets of his passing?

Sincerely,
Gerald V. Murphy Jr.

By Brian Stilen on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 04:30 pm: Edit Post

My name is Brian Stilen, Grandson of Harold Stilen....My grandfather was on the USS BLESSMAN when it was hit, he was one of the gunners on deck. If anybody has any info or remembers him please send me something back to my email. I am looking for a crew list that i could possibly frame and give to him as a gift showing his name and shipmates...any info will help my email is
bstylen@hotmail.com. Thank you

By Penny Fraley Richardson on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:41 pm: Edit Post

My father was Charles "Chuck" Fraley. He was on the ship when it was bombed. He had been relieved from his duty station early. He was going out a hatch to the deck when the bomb hit. He was thrown into the water. The person who relieved him was killed. I do not know his name. My dad talked about planting banana trees on the island of Siapan on his 19th birthday on March 3, 1945. Does anyone remember him? I am looking for photos or any information. He was born in Kentucky but lived in Marion, Ohio. My dad was a machinist mate I believe. Would love to know more and try to find out who it was that relieved him early and parished. I am looking for anyone who knew him and might have stories to tell. I hope to come to the reunion this year.

Penny Fraley Richardson my email is muffin2@gte.net

By Charles Thifault on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 06:29 pm: Edit Post

The USS BLESSMAN DE69 APD 48 will be having their 64th Reunion October 10th through the 13th, 2007 to be held in South Daytona, Florida at the Bahama House on the ocean. Shipmates also invited are from USS AMESBURY DE 66, USS BUNCH DE 694, USS BATES DE 68 APD 47,USS BULL DE 693 APD 78, USS RICH DE 695, SUSAN "B'ANTHONY AP 72 AND USS HARRINGTON. WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME NEW FACES!!! PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT Deshipmates2004@wmconnect.com or call me at 386-441-7915 anytime and please be sure and leave a message. I have been chairman/treasurer for appr. 18 years and my wife, Cecilia as secretary.
Sincerely, Charles (Chuck) Thifault

By Charles Thifault on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 01:16 pm: Edit Post

Hello Bruce and family!
My name is Charles "T" Thifaullt and I have been Chairman/Treasurer and my dear wife, Cecilia has been Secretary for 18 years meeting in Las Vegas, Branson, Mo, Williamsburg, Va, Charleston South Carolina, many reunions in Orlando, Florida and many in Daytona Beach, Florida. Our next reunion is in South Daytona, Flroida, October 10th through 13th, 2007.
We would love to have your support! If you will call me at 386-441-7915 any evening after 7 p.m., I will be very happy and pleased to talk to you. I am sorry aabout your Dad Edward, I knew him well. You can e-mail me at Deshipmates2004@wmconnect.com. Love to hear!!!!

By Charles Thifault on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 09:50 am: Edit Post

The U.S.S. Blessman DE 69 APD 48 will be having their 64 th World War II Reunion Wednesday, October 10th through Saturday, October 13th, 2007. It will be held again this year at the BAHAMA HOUSE (ON THE OCEAN)in South Daytona, Florida. All are invited: Survivors of USS RICH,DE 695,USS BATES DE 68/APD 47,USS AMESBURY, USS BUNCH DE 694,USS BULL, USS SUSAN "B" ANTHONY, USS HARRINGTON, plus TEAM 15 (Seals)
PLEASE CONTACT CHARLES (CHUCK) THIFAULT at 36 Sandra Dr., Ormond Beach, Fl 32176 or call 386-441-7915 or e-mail to Deshipmates2004@wmconnect.com

LOVE TO HEAR FROM NEW SHIPMATE/SURVIVORS!!!
GOD-IS-GOOD AS I ALWAYS SAY!!!

By Charles Thifault on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:09 pm: Edit Post

Hello Bob Kroon and family!
We just got your message on the Message Board for the USS BLESSMAN DE 69 APD 48.
I am Chairman of the Blessman Family and Treasurer, my wife Cecilia is Secretary. We have been for 18 years, GOD-IS-GOOD! We are sorry to hear of the passing of your Mom and Dad. We had them with us in Williamsburg, Virginia for Reunion # 52 and also Reunion # 56 in Branson, Missouri. Bob, I knew your Mom and Dad very well.I have more to say, please call 386-441-7915.
Looking forward to hearing from you further. We will be having our 64th Reunion, October 10th thr
ough the 13th in South Daytona Florida.

By bobkroon on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 02:33 pm: Edit Post

My father was William Kroon. I know he attended a few USS Blessman reunions but he was never wanted to talk much about his wartime experiences, at least with the family.

I know, however, that his time in Navy was deeply meaningful. After Mom died, I accompanied him to shop for a headstone. He was adamant that his service record be inscribed on the stone. It was probably then that I finally could appreciate how deeply he cared. We included the Navy Hymn at his funeral.

I've gathered and kept a number of articles, pictures and momentos and would love to trade copies with others. I really would like to know more and would love to try to attend a reunion.

Sincerely,
Bob Kroon

By Bruce Powell on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 09:44 pm: Edit Post

Hello,
My father Edward N Powell EM3c served on the USS Blessman from Sept, 1943 through at least Nov 1946. He passed away in Aug 2001. He always had a warm spot in his heart for the old gal. In going through his things I have been coming across stuff. One is a commissioning booklet he mailed home in 1943, still in the same envelope he mailed it in. This booklet has a roster of officers and muster list of the orginial crew. There are a number of photos also. I keep finding more things tucked away. I am scanning things has I find them and can send them to others who may be interested.

By Angela Vaughan on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 01:56 pm: Edit Post

My father was on the Blessman. He was in the engine room. His name is Richard (Dick) Singleton from Virginia.

By Theodore Robert Swanson on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:59 pm: Edit Post

Hello, this is Theodore Robert Swanson's daughter, Dawn. I writing on behalf of my father to fellow USS Blessman, A.P.D. 48 shipmates that you may contact him through my new e-mail address: dawnlisee@hotmail.com. My father, age 79, does not have a computer but, as previous, I will relay all messages to him. To contact him directly his telephone number is: 651-771-0962. He has heard from some fellow shipmates, would love to hear from more. Thank you for your service and God Bless.

By Diana Sharrar on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:14 pm: Edit Post

My uncle, Frank P. Dimeling was killed when a 500 lb. bomb hit the mess. My sister and I are doing a family tree/research and would appreciate any and all information we can get on him. Anyone who knew him, pictures, anything. Please contact me at yabbadoo@verizon.net or send info to me at Diana Sharrar, 516 Wood Street, Clarion, PA 16214.

By Charles Thfiault on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

LOOKING FOR SHIPMATES TO ENJOY THE REUNION COMING UP ON NOVEMBER 8 THRU THE 11TH, 2006. iT WILL BE OUR 63RD REUNION TO BE HELD IN DAYTONA BEACH,Florida.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CALL 386-441-7915 ANY EVENING AFTER 7 P.M. AND PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE. OR YOU MAY E-MAIL TO;

Deshipmates2004@wmconnect.com
CHARLES (Chuck) Thifault of USS BLESSMAN DE69-APD48

By Michael Blythe on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 09:27 pm: Edit Post

My Uncle Donald Thompson was a seaman on the Blessman and was killed when the 500 lb. bomb hit. I never knew him but my Mom and Aunts made him out to be a pretty good guy. Is there anyone who served with him that can share any stories or memories? Mike Blythe blythemail@aol.com

By Rachel Warshaw on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:41 pm: Edit Post

Hi My name is Rachel Warshaw. Grandaughter of Murray Warshaw. My grandparents use to bring me to the reunions all the time. My grandparents are no longer here but I was wondering if the reunions were still taking place becuase I would like to be there to represent my grandfather. Please get back to me if possible. My email is musicmajor429@yahoo.com.

As Charlie "T" Thifault would say,

"God is good"

Thank you,

Rachel J. Warshaw

By Melanie Wilson on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 07:44 pm: Edit Post

Hello,
My Grandfather served on the USS Blessman from Sept. 19, 1943 until Apr 23, 1945, his name was Jewel H. Wilson, I would love to be able to find further information on crew logs that might have his name in them. Does anyone remember my Grandpa, please let me know.
Thank You and God Bless,
Melanie Wilson

By Howard Thomas on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 08:45 am: Edit Post

My uncle was on the Blessman when it was bombed.His name is Robert Woolsey Lives at 3507 Sabine Texerkana Texas 75503 Phone 903 793 2023. Contact him he may be able to help

By Charles Thifault on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 03:39 pm: Edit Post

Please Contact Charles T, chairman of the USS BLESSMAN FAMILY, who has been chairman of the past Reunions for 15 years. Constantly looking for more shipmates. Planning the 62nd Reunion, in September in Daytona Beach. Please call 386-441-7915 and my e-mail is Deshipmates2004@wmconnect.com

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: