USS J.Douglas Blackwood DE 219

DESA Bulletin Board: Seeking Shipmates or Ship Information: USS J.Douglas Blackwood DE 219
By Kimberly LaCorte Brown on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 03:00 pm: Edit Post

I know that my fathers discharge papers indicate that he served some of his time on the USS Blackwood, then went to the USS Hamul. He would have served on the Blackwood in 1946. His name was Ignazio (Charles) LaCorte. If anyone remembers him can you please contact me: Kim at gulliebrown@yahoo.com

Thank you

By Bob Martino on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 08:09 am: Edit Post

I served on the Blackwood from 1958 to 1962 out of the Philadelphia Navy Yard. We went active in 1961 for the Berlin Crisis. Saw a lot of Gitmo and a lot of ASW drills. We would go out on patrol for a week at a time and challenge any ship that looked like it was taking missles to Cuba. My late uncle also served on the Blackwood. He was Chief Machinest Mate Nick Martino. Whenever they paged "Martino to the bridge" we both showed up.

By Gary L. Galloway MM2 on Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 08:25 pm: Edit Post

I served aboard the Blackwood 1968-1970 47 member regular ships company training Reserves stationed in New York City East River. The Ship was Turbo Elect Power Plant 400 lb steam system driving a Turbine Generator for a DC Motor Power Plant. The Navy called it Perfered Sea Duty. It was great. I worked in both foward and aft engine rooms. I believe I was one of the last serving crew members before de-commisioning....Gary L. Galloway MM2

By Jim Bird on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 08:00 pm: Edit Post

I served on the Blackwood from day one till end of war. Very little contact with any one. Can not be last survivor. WT 3/C

By Ben Celso on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 07:23 pm: Edit Post

My grandfather served about the U.S.S. J. Douglas Blackwood from December 23, 1944 until end of the war. His name was Bartlett Elmore Smith from upstate New York. He was a gunners mate, seaman second class.

I am interested in finding anyone who knew him, or has any photos or stories from that time. Thanks.

Contact me at bmcelso@yahoo.com

By Arthur J. Bird on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:52 pm: Edit Post

Served on the Blackwood fron day of commissioning until it pulled in to Mare Island after end of war. Got my 30 day leave- came back -had 85 points and was discharged Nov. 11. 1945. Have heard very little from any one. Was in the black gang. WT 3/C. Any one still around? Jim Bird Ph. 727- 938-6492. Computer not always working.

By Dennis Lengle on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 07:03 pm: Edit Post

Have uncle who served aboard USS J.D. Blackwood (DE-219) upon ship's commissioning in 1943. Edward T. Granger, Gunners Mate, from Cleveland, Ohio likely has some interesting stories. Severe automobile accident caused (permanent) short term memory loss; however, "long term" memory remains. I would like to jog his memory regarding experiences/campaigns. Need help from possible shipmate or someone knowledgeable of USS Blackwood of the WWII era. Thank you. Dennis (Nephew)

By Burl Chance on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 06:04 am: Edit Post

I served aboard the uss j d blackwood de 219, 1946 and 1947. Can anyone advise me the type diesel fuel used for the ship, also the chemical contents of the fuel. Thank you

Burl Chance S1SK

By Marriott EM3 on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 08:55 am: Edit Post

Would like contact with anyone who served aboard the Blackwood! Especially those from 1962-66.

Searching for Lt. George O. Glavis - Engineering Officer from 62 until?

Thank you.

By Art Palm on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit Post

Looking for AE Werner Email aewerner@juno.com, msg being returned "unable to deliver"...appreciate any information.
For Burl Chance
When I left the Blackwood it had been converted to distilate fuel...it was steam electric, not diesel !!!

Art Palm 1951-1953

By Rufus Hagy Barnett on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:24 am: Edit Post

I served aboard the Blackwood from Dec.1943 til Nov.1945.I WAS THE HOT sheelman on the # 3 gun.I had a little dog we called Panama.Would like to here from any one that remembers me. Rufus H (pUGSY)Barnett

By hubert o. whitaker on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 06:24 pm: Edit Post

we are looking for ship mates 1940-1947 please either contact me or my grandfather at cole2yrsol@aol.com richgurl@hotmail.com or HOSJobsite@aol.com thanx

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: